Adult ESL Instructor
Company: World Relief
Category: Education, Nonprofit
Aurora, Carol Stream
Type: Part Time
World Relief Chicagoland is looking for an experienced ESL instructor to teach ESL classes to adult students living in Chicago through its Chicago office. Currently these classes are taking place online which involves virtual classroom meetings and independent student work. The ESL Instructor will teach creative and interactive ESL lessons that incorporate English literacy, digital literacy, life, employment, and college-readiness skills. This position is 10 hour/week. Classes are currently held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. If you are an energetic individual that has strong interpersonal skills, a passion to teach English to adult immigrants, and the ability to help students successfully navigate technology and online learning platforms, this role may be a good fit for you. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Essential functions:
- Create and teach ESL lessons through virtual classroom meetings that incorporate English literacy, digital literacy, life, employment, and college-readiness skills.
- Assign and provide feedback on homework assignments.
- Create and record video tutorials to supplement instruction as needed.
- Utilize World Relief’s online ESL teaching software and curriculum.
- Assist students in exploring and setting educational and career goals.
- Adapt lesson plans and materials for a multilevel classroom.
- Assist students in the use of technology and online learning platforms before and after enrollment as needed.
- Guide and assist classroom volunteers.
- Meet with students as needed during online office hours and quarterly meetings.
- Conduct formal and informal student assessments according to department guidelines.
- Document and communicate student attendance, levels of participation, and classroom trends to program staff.
- Follow up with students who are absent from class.
- Meet with students as needed during office hours.
- Ensure classroom policies are followed.
- Complete all required professional development trainings in a timely manner.
- Maintain proper care of class materials and technology equipment.
- Maintain clear and timely communication with staff.
- Attend all required staff meetings.