Company: City of Naperville
Type: Full Time
The City of Naperville seeks a motivated and degreed individual to serve as Assistant Planner for the Transportation, Engineering and Development Business Group (TED). As a key member of their Planning team, and reporting to a Senior Planner, this position provides technical support to planning and zoning boards and commissions, reviews and expedites applications for variances, conducts plan and permit reviews of modest to moderate scope & complexity, and responds to inquiries related to zoning and planning matters. Working in a team environment, the Assistant Planner’s additional responsibilities will include:
- Receiving development applications (and supporting documents) that are submitted by developers, then reviewing the documentation for conformance to City zoning and development codes, regulations & ordinances. Requesting revisions as necessary.
- Reviewing development applications and supporting documents to ensure timely completion and communication to applicants.
- Preparing variance applications for review by the Planning and Zoning Commission and the City Council, including scheduling public hearings, preparing staff reports & ordinances, and presenting to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Reviewing permit applications for conformance to City codes and regulations.
- Representing TED at meetings with developers and other City department representatives to contribute technical planning and zoning expertise in regard to development proposals.
- Responding to inquiries from developers, realtors, organizations, City departments, and the public regarding planning & zoning matters and activities.
- Assisting other City staff with zoning/code compliance inspection activities.
- Preparing correspondence, reports & spreadsheets related to zoning and planning activities.
- Contributing to the development and improvement of development and plan review processes.
- Performing research as necessary.