Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Company: DuPage County Health Department (DCHD)
Type: Part Time
The DuPage County Health Department is looking for someone to join their team as a Peer Mentor in a part-time role, working up to 19 hours per week. As a Peer Mentor, you will be providing basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum mothers at their Westmont location and in community settings.
- Advises pregnant and breastfeeding mothers during WIC clinics.
- Receives a caseload of clients and makes routine periodic contact by telephone, home visits, and/or hospital visits.
- Talks with clients individually or in groups about feeding decisions and answers routine breastfeeding questions; provides guidance on initiation of breastfeeding, prevention of and relief of common problems, maintaining milk supply and weaning.
- Provides information on the effect of foods, medications, and home remedies on lactation within clinical guidelines.
- Keeps accurate records of client contacts; identifies breastfeeding situations which require assistance and makes appropriate referrals.
- Attends and assists with prenatal classes; assists with providing breast pumps.
- Attends staff meetings as needed.
- Maintains required training, licensure, and/or certification.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality.
- Participates in emergency response activities as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to patient privacy laws.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and understanding of other ethnic groups and culture.
- May assist staff in promoting peer counseling through special projects as assigned.