Building Inspector – Community Development Department
Company: Village of Glen Ellyn
Type: Full Time
The Village of Glen Ellyn Community Development Department is recruiting for one (1) full-time Building Inspector. Essential functions are the following:
- Inspects structures for compliance by reading and interpreting plans and codes; approving or rejecting all building components including, but not limited to, structural, framing, foundation, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC construction.
- Inspects existing structures for compliance with applicable codes, including Village Code, Fire Code, and Life Safety Code.
- Conducts zoning and building code enforcement by investigating complaints, documenting conditions, identifying violations, issuing stop work orders, notices of violation, and citations; also testifies in court on behalf of the Village.
- Assists in the review of zoning regulations and general land use code enforcement, as assigned.
- Provides prompt and courteous customer service by researching and answering questions and complaints from customers in person, via phone, and in e-mail correspondence.
- Completes accessory structure zoning and building plan reviews on an as-needed basis.
- Drafts accurate inspection reports, and performs data entry into the Village’s building permit software system (Munis).
- Responds to emergency calls for fires or accidents to buildings in order to determine structural safety and evaluate what conditions must be met to allow occupancy.