Community Health Worker
Company: DuPage County Health Department
Category: Customer Service, Healthcare
Type: Full Time
The DuPage County Health Department has two immediate openings for the Community Health Worker position. You will be responsible for screening clients, completing and filing applications for healthcare coverage and/or other financial support as well as helping clients navigate public benefits and health insurance. Responsibilities:
- Assists clients with access to and navigation of public benefits, health insurance, and other supportive programs.
- Completes and files basic applications for health care coverage or other financial support for health-supporting program access, such as for Medicaid, local access to care programs, food assistance programs, and hospital financial assistance.
- Follows individual client application status through to resolution and communicates outcomes.
- Collects sensitive information from clients and conducts client income assessments during face-to-face visits.
- Applies agency financial policies to individual client circumstances, including eligibility for reduced fees.
- Assists clients and direct service staff with understanding the Medicaid program and process for obtaining and maintaining benefits.
- Provides basic, culturally competent, education on common health insurance topics, including explanation of co-pays, coinsurance, premiums, deductibles, and payment options and minimum payments.
- Conducts telephone outreach to clients to discuss coverage options and schedules follow-up.
- Refers clients to community-based resources or other Health Department services as necessary.
- Demonstrates the ability to work within multiple electronic systems in order to respond to client needs.
- Performs concurrent documentation as necessary and adheres to established productivity expectations.
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to patient privacy laws and demonstrates sensitivity and understanding of other ethnic groups and cultures.
- Participates in emergency response activities as assigned.