Company: The Morton Arboretum
Type: Part Time
The Morton Arboretum seeks a Construction Aide to perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled duties, primarily involving physical labor and equipment operation, relating to the general development and care of the Arboretum grounds. This is a temporary position. Essential Functions:
- Operate large and small equipment. Grade land, install asphalt surfaces, spread stone, roll roads, and conduct road striping.
- Replace, straighten, and paint barrier posts, gate posts, sign posts. Erect and repair chain-link, woven wire, barbed wire and wooden fences. Assist with the installation of the Arboretum’s sign system and benches.
- Remove or transplant trees and shrubs; install sod; provide rough land clearing, and maintain mulch and compost piles.
- Pour and finish cement, lay blocks, flagstone, wood and other pavings. Sealcoat exposed aggregate walkways.
- Load and unload shipments of equipment and materials. Move equipment, materials and furniture.
- Participate in snow removal operations, including snow plowing, snow sweeping, and snow shoveling, snow blowing, and cleaning walks, roads, roofs, etc.