Electrical Engineer III
Company: City of Naperville
Category: Electrical, Engineering
Type: Full Time
The City of Naperville Electric Utilities Department is seeking a highly motivated individual to join their team and contribute to their continued growth and success as an Electrical Engineer III. This position will develop and lead teams in studies, plans, criteria, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, performance assessments, integrated systems analysis, cost estimates, and budgets associated with the planning, design, licensing, construction, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of the electric utility system. The Electrical Engineer III will also review financial data to compare between budget and actual costs of projects and take appropriate actions resulting from analytical review.
The Electrical Engineer III creates, updates, and applies internal/industry standards and technology in a specialized area of expertise and provides technical expertise to help make strategic and operational decisions. Project assignments typically include performing complex engineering work requiring the application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out engineering tasks.
- Perform engineering tasks associated with critical engineering projects or multiple small projects with many complex features including financial oversight.
- Review electrical, communication, structural, mechanical, and civil drawings for compliance with contract documents and City, State, and Federal standards.
- Provide information to and answer questions for the general public.
- Manage the construction and inspection of capital improvement projects for electric distribution, transmission, SCADA, or Smart Grid systems.
- Administer large dollar projects with responsibility for scope, schedule, and budget.
- Attend and/or schedule various meetings including preconstruction, coordination, and conceptual design.
- Manage support vendors and maintains quality assurance of third-party designs.
- Expected to work in a collaborative team environment on projects involving new design, modifications, retrofits, or preliminary/conceptual designs related to utility scale power systems.
- Evaluate changes in project scope and recommends solutions to the City’s contractors and to the Director of Public Utilities – Electric.
- Function as a Subject Matter Expert for a given field.
- May supervise a few direct reports. Train and mentor employees under supervision.