Company: The Morton Arboretum
Type: Full Time
The Morton Arboretum in Lisle is now accepting applications for a full-time and experienced Grower to join their team! The incumbent will be responsible for propagating and growing plants for the Arboretum collections, landscapes, gardens, plant breeding and research, and assist the Plant Production Supervisor and Manager of Plant Production and Nuisance Animal Control with projects and responsibilities as assigned.
- Provide proper cultural care for plants in assigned production areas, including potting, growing media preparation, pruning, fertilizing, watering, and irrigation system operation and maintenance.
- Carry out plant propagation, including seed cleaning and sowing, cutting production, and grafting.
- Maintain nurseries by performing the following duties: bed preparation, planting, digging, cultivating, mowing, fence maintenance, labeling and inventory.
- Control weed, insect, animal, and disease problems in greenhouse and nursery production areas using appropriate cultural and chemical control methods.
- Assist with maintenance of plant production facilities and equipment. Use proper care and storage of plant production tools and equipment.
- Lead part-time staff and volunteers on projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned