Head of Institutional Partnerships
Company: The Morton Arboretum
Category: Management, Nonprofit
Type: Full Time
The Morton Arboretum is seeking an experienced fundraiser to grow the pipeline of support from corporate, foundation, and government partners resulting in ongoing financial revenue. The successful candidate should enjoy being part of a fast-paced and driven setting and have prior experience developing fundraising strategies to secure private foundation, corporate foundation and sponsorship, and government grants that support annual fund, restricted campaigns and programming.
Position Summary: Responsible for growing the comprehensive institutional giving program to meet ambitious annual operating, campaign and special project goals, through effective funder relationships, program implementation, and staff supervision. Serve as a primary liaison for corporate, foundation, and government donors in coordination with executive and volunteer leadership. Serve as an advocate for a culture of philanthropy that supports the best interests of the organization as well as the donors.
- Develop and execute strategies to cultivate new institutional partners, including corporations, foundations, and government funders. Implement external facing activities and proactive outreach to expand networks and strategically develop new relationships.
- Oversee portfolio management of the full institutional giving team and external relationships with corporations, foundations, and government funders, and ensure best moves management processes within the Constituent Relationship Management database. Personally manage and build a portfolio of key corporate funders, sponsors, and grant making organizations.
- Establish annual fundraising goals for corporate, foundation, and government, in partnership with the Director of Major Giving, and monitor and report on progress.
- Lead proposal and grant application strategies and project management, to include writing, reviewing and editing proposals and reports, often in coordination with executive and volunteer leadership.
- Work with the Vice President of Development and Director of Major Gifts to actively engage the President & CEO, senior staff, and trustees in institutional funding strategy and relationship building from prospect identification to stewardship.
- Lead solicitation strategy development and implementation for all corporate prospects for philanthropic support, sponsorship, in-kind, employee engagement, volunteering, and matching gifts.
- Support the Institutional Grants Manager in the cultivation and solicitation of grant making organizations, and in ensuring organization-wide adherence to the Arboretum’s grants management policies and procedures.
- Work collaboratively across the organization with scientists, program staff, marketing, and the Business Office to identify funding sources to support annual programming, exhibitions and events, and other strategic initiatives through grant submissions, corporate funding requests, and sponsorship opportunities.
- Maintain partnership with the Marketing and Communications team for successful execution of sponsorship workflow across the organization including the fulfillment of all sponsor benefits.
- Supervise the Institutional Grants Manager and Development Coordinator, Major Gifts. Duties include recruitment and selection, scheduling and job assignments, performance feedback, recognition, and staff development and training in keeping with the Arboretum’s policies and procedures.