Health Policy and Coding Specialist – Hybrid
Company: American Academy of Pediatrics
Category: Office & Administration
Type: Full Time
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is seeking a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) to manage the AAP coding technical assistance (TA) activities. This member facing role will track TA requests and respond to member inquiries; support the development of coding resources and companion educational activities; and contribute and provide coding expertise to initiatives related to health care delivery and finance transformation. Some tasks include:
- As primary staff for AAP coding TA and resource activities, research and provide AAP Fellows and their office staff accurate and timely answers to their coding queries.
- Manage and inform updates to AAP coding publications, including the Coding for Pediatrics manual, the AAP Coding Newsletter, and the coding quick reference cards.
- Work with the primary staff to the Committee on Coding and Nomenclature (COCN) to inform and develop pediatric coding policies.
- Analyze how changes in Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and International Classification of Diseases (ICD) guidelines may affect pediatric practices in order to educate members. Engage CHF team members as appropriate.
- Assist in addressing payer issues and developing coding resources for payer advocacy.
- Serve as primary staff for ICD-10-CM code development and implementation, including ICD-11 Pediatric Topic Advisory Group activities. This includes attending ICD Editorial Advisory Board and Coordination & Maintenance meetings to ensure proposals align with best practices for children, working with member stakeholders to develop and refine code proposals, and educating members toward effective implementation of ICD-10-CM codes.
- Develop and maintain coding related educational resources for members, professional coders, and practice managers.
- Manage content posted to the AAP Coding and Valuation web pages.
- Contribute to health policy advocacy initiatives as needed.
- Manage the development and production of the monthly column, “Coding Corner,” in AAP News.
- Attend the RUC and CPT Editorial Panel meetings as needed.
- Work with appropriate AAP staff to explore new revenue generating opportunities for AAP coding resources.
- Manage content, faculty, and logistics of the AAP Coding Webinars.