Historical Farming Program Assistant
Company: Forest Preserve District of DuPage County
Category: Maintenance, Other Occupations
Type: Part Time
The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County is hiring for a Historical Farming Program Assistant for their team in West Chicago.
This position uses the livestock and physical facilities of Kline Creek Farm to demonstrate and educate visitors about 1890s farm life.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Educate, interpret and demonstrate historical farming practices to the public through general interaction, planned events or during farm activities
- Perform daily care tasks including cleaning, breeding and husbandry of livestock, monitoring the animal’s physical condition, and providing appropriate treatment
- Feed the animals including accurate weighing or portioning the feed for each
- Train and supervise farm volunteers on methods and procedures used to safely operate and maintain the farm
- Perform teamster horse driving duties including grooming, harnessing, hitching and driving the farm’s horses
- Maintain and repair the farm’s agriculture-related physical facilities
- Adjust and operate the farm’s tractor and modern implements
- Construct new period-appropriate farm equipment or facilities
Click on the “Apply Now” button for additional details about this position.