Company: The Morton Arboretum
Type: Full Time
The Morton Arboretum is seeking a horticulturist to join their team to maintain assigned collections in excellent horticultural and aesthetic condition. The successful candidate will be able to work outside in all weather conditions alone or as part of a team. Must have exceptional time management and data-keeping skills with the ability to oversee temporary employees and volunteers. Essential functions:
- Communicate with supervisor to understand and achieve individual garden and collection objectives.
- Perform all functions involved in the care of a specified area, including:
- planting, dividing, and transplanting trees, shrubs, groundcovers, and herbaceous plants
- weeding, mulching, and watering
- cultivating and fertilizing
- pruning and arboricultural work, removing dead and diseased wood, and dead plants
- hedge trimming
- edging beds, brush cutting
- removing litter, twigs, leaves and other material from assigned and adjacent areas
- safe and proper use of pesticides and pesticide mixing/storage facility
- invasive species surveillance and control
- monitoring and controlling threatening insects, diseases, and nuisance animals
- record keeping; installing and maintaining proper plant labels
- Assist in selecting, designing, and determining site location for plants in gardens and collections.
- Learn, understand, and demonstrate the ability to safely operate and maintain all motorized equipment according to the operator manuals. Responsible for proper operation and maintenance of tools and equipment used in daily work.
- Work with, oversee, and advise supervisor as to the quality of the performance of assigned seasonal employees, contractors, or volunteers.
- Notify the appropriate supervisor of necessary repairs to garden features, irrigation systems, equipment, or hardscapes in an assigned garden or collection.
- Prepare and maintain assigned garden or collection for special events, exhibitions, and other large-scale grounds projects.
- Participate in snow removal operations, including snow shoveling, snow blowing, and application of deicing materials.
- May assist in the maintenance of natural areas, including prescribed burns and winter clearing.
- Demonstrate alignment with the Arboretum’s employee core values to be inclusive, take ownership, work together, keep learning and make the Arboretum exceptional.