Intellectual Property & Contract Administrator – Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
Company: Midwestern University
Category: Office & Administration
Type: Full Time
Midwestern University seeks an Administrator to join their team. The Intellectual (IP) & Contracts Administrator will provide paralegal and administrative support, develop forms, plus review and edit terms and conditions associated with research-related contracts and agreements across both Arizona and Illinois campuses. The IP & Contracts Administrator will be located on Midwestern University’s Downers Grove, IL campus in the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs (ORSP) and will report to the Associate Director of ORSP. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contract-Related Work Performed
- Assist the Senior IP and Contracts Administrator with contract-related administrative tasks.
- Assist in the review, editing, and tracking of a wide variety of research-related contracts, grants, and technology transfer contracts with private industry, academic and non-profit institutions, and state, local, and federal entities while keeping MWU’s best interests in mind.
- Support the negotiation of template Confidentiality Agreements, Data Use Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Assignment Agreements, grant agreements, subawards, and service contract agreements for capital research equipment; support the department in the review and negotiation of other types of agreements, as needed.
- Work with Grant Specialists on grant agreements and subawards; ensure ORSP is aware of and can comply with grant and subaward terms and conditions.
- Communicate with faculty needing a contract and other stakeholders in order to ensure: the agreement meets faculty needs, aligns with MWU policy, and the details of the arrangement and research are accurate.
- Identify contractual risks, challenging terms and provisions, MWU obligations, statutory and regulatory compliance requirements, and when to consult with ORSP supervisors regarding same.
- Explain contract language, terms, conditions, and requirements to faculty, as needed, so that the researchers understand their obligations, particularly, special or unique responsibilities, MWU risks, and why MWU is accepting or not accepting certain provisions.
- Perform other assignments, as requested by the Associate Director of Research & Sponsored Programs.
- IP-Related Work Performed
- Assist in MWU’s invention disclosure processing, including supporting MWU’s patent committee.
- Provide support and assistance to inventors submitting invention disclosures to the ORSP and provide updates and feedback to the inventors.
- Review invention disclosures for completeness and an eye toward commercial applications.
- Provide information to MWU IP consultants and inside and outside counsel to assist in determining patentability and to oversee adherence to application timelines.
- Assist in making recommendations regarding whether patent protection should be sought.
- Maintain IP files and records and maintain a database for docketing of patent prosecution activities.
- Review law firm invoices for reasonableness, accuracy, and record costs; assist with payment of invoices in a timely manner.