Intelligent Transportation Systems Field Technician
Company: Illinois Tollway
Category: IT, Maintenance
Type: Full Time
The Illinois Tollway has an opening for the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Technician. This position will support the day-to-day operations of the Tollway. Essential Job Functions:
- Incumbents report directly to the ITS Deployment Engineer.
- Incumbents are responsible for maintaining equipment installed at 82 facilities and hundreds of roadside locations in 12 Northern Illinois counties.
- ITS network equipment to be maintained now includes over 1,000 camera systems, 91 RTMS (roadside radar vehicle detection) systems, 5 Weigh In Motion (WIM) systems, 39 DMS signs, 4 PEMS systems, 5 wireless queue management systems and 34 Full Matrix Portable Changeable Message Signs (PCMS).
- The ITS network is constantly growing and changing. The incumbent is required to work with Tollway contractors to assist in the integration of new ITS equipment.
- Central ITS network control is at the Central Administration building, with thousands of pieces of ITS equipment at various sites all along the 286 miles of roadway and at all plazas and at many other facilities.
- In addition to all the equipment listed above, there is all of the peripheral infrastructure such as fiber and copper cabling, video switches, analog fiber communication cards, video multiplexers, and video recorders which are located in many Tollway buildings.
- The incumbent performs maintenance on ITS equipment and infrastructure according to manufacturers’ guidelines by inspecting, testing, and servicing the Tollway’s ITS equipment to ensure proper system operation, reduce downtime, ensure compliance with Tollway security policies, and to meet manufacturers’ specifications.
- The incumbent is responsible for maintenance, system testing, monitoring, and repair on all Tollway ITS equipment to ensure reliable and efficient data acquisition and reporting to the public.
- The incumbent, through documentation of personal activity, equipment maintenance reports, and station logs, ensure: equipment history, inventory control, and time accountability.
- The principal challenges to the incumbents are: the wide variety of data acquisition and communications equipment installed in their area of responsibility, and balancing all the varying demands of this position.
- This position also requires an extensive, in-depth understanding of the Tollway’s complex ITS system, and troubleshooting techniques on state-of-the-art embedded computer and video equipment and system configurations.
- Day to day responsibility exists within this job through the prioritizing of maintenance, repairs, and the various service requests.
- A main function of this position is to conduct site inspections at various Tollway facilities during regular work hours as well as subject to being “on-call”. This is accomplished by incumbent use of a vehicle to travel to and from respective sites. Additionally reports to Central Administration as necessary.