Lead Mechanical Design Engineer
Category: Designing, Engineering
Type: Full Time
Hi-Cone has a Lead Mechanical Design Engineer position open. The Lead Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for both designing and development for new and existing machinery systems suitable for a wide range of containers. Responsibilities include leading design from concept through production, understanding design specifications and standards, reviewing and initiating engineering changes, and developing and maintaining Hi-Cone design standards. The project assignments will vary from minor machine/carrier enhancements to complete system design. The candidate must be proficient in all phases of the design process – brain storming, conception, design, detailing, B/M creation, assembly support, in-field testing and debug followed by product support. The position will interface with other engineers, sales, marketing, systems service, customers, and machine builders. The candidate must be able to handle multiple assignments, priorities, and schedules concurrently. Primary responsibilities:
- Apply mechanical design skills, using 3D CAD modeling, to develop innovative packaging products, production tooling, and high-speed OEM packaging machinery.
- Develop technical specifications and prepare documentation that adequately defines the project for manufacturing.
- Create assemblies, detailed drawings, and BOMs using SolidWorks, ePDM, and in-house database.
- Resolve commercial design issues causing quality or customer efficiency problems with material or equipment changes as appropriate.
- Perform product and machinery testing to ensure form, fit, and function and compliance with customer and government standards.
- Coordinate the review, presentation and release of design layouts, drawings, analysis, and other documentation.
- Execute in field testing at customer locations of new concepts for successful commercial launch.
- Create, execute, and revise project tasks as appropriate to meet project requirements, customer specifications, and schedule.
- Interact with external and internal customers to understand pain points and identify potential innovations.