Company: Village of Glen Ellyn
Category: Customer Service, Office and Administration
Type: Full Time
The Village of Glen Ellyn is seeking qualified candidates to fill a full-time Permit Clerk position to provide day-to-day administrative support to the Community Development Department for building permit and code enforcement matters. Under the direction of the Permit Manager, this position provides excellent customer service to the public, government agencies and Village departments regarding the application of Village building & zoning codes and issuance of building permits for residential and commercial projects. Depending on experience and qualifications, the full-time Permit Clerk may also supervise part-time, seasonal, and temporary permit clerks as assigned. In addition to typing, filing and scheduling, this position will perform related office duties, including record keeping, and assisting with a variety of special projects.
• Verify completion of permit application; distribute submittal documents to internal and
external Village departments and consultants for review; track status of reviews and required
submittals; issue permits.
• Review and issue basic over-the-counter permit applications (examples include but are not
limited to water heater installations, re-roofing, fences, sheds, and other simple permits).
• Process applications for contractor registration and update contractor information into permit
tracking software (MUNIS).
• Calculate permit fees and required deposits, process payments.
• Manage, respond to and/or re-direct incoming telephone calls to appropriate staff members.
• Answer homeowner and business owner questions over the telephone, in person at the permit
counter, and by email about Village codes and regulations; building processes; inspection
requirements; and code enforcement.
• Process restoration deposit refunds and close projects by updating all tracking records and
• Prepare closed project files for scanning.
• Schedule inspections.
• Research and respond to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
• Follow up with customers on expired permits and occupancies to issue extensions and charge
• Maintain building permit paper files and electronic files (MUNIS).
• Maintain accurate records; determine status and next steps on projects.
• Compile, calculate and prepare monthly department reports that summarize Community
Development activities, prepare Milton Township Permit Reports, and US Census Reports.
• Prepare ad hoc reports on department activities as requested.
• Cooperatively work with other Village departments on permit related issues.
• Coordinate with Village’s consultants to process permit applications as necessary.
• Accept citizen inquires and complaints and forward to departmental staff as appropriate.
• Prepares correspondence and mailings related to permits and zoning variations.