Company: The Morton Arboretum
Category: Public Service
Type: Full Time
The Morton Arboretum is seeking a Safety Specialist who will be responsible for development and coordination of the Arboretum’s safety operations and overall risk management. Update, enforce, and develop as needed, appropriate safety and emergency policies/procedures for protecting visitors, staff, and assets/collections of The Morton Arboretum. Partner with department supervisors to ensure appropriate safety training and OSHA compliance. Essential Functions:
- Prepare and conduct classroom and online safety related training programs. Work with supervisors and managers to ensure that safety training requirements are met, depending on position and location.
- Collaborate with Knowledge Management team to design corresponding digital learning programs.
- Partner with Director of Guest Experience and Safety in developing safety protocols to ensure the primacy of keeping employees, volunteers, and guests healthy and safe over all other considerations.
- Implement, monitor, and coordinate policies, procedures, and programs encompassing safety protocol, policy enforcement, crime prevention, fire prevention & suppression, chemical safety, emergency medical services, disaster preparedness, and emergency & evacuation procedures.
- Review and update safety, security, and emergency procedures, policies, and operational guidelines. Ensure all safety programs are compliant with OSHA regulations. Ensure that program areas follow protocols and remain compliant with storage and use of chemicals, pesticides, or hazardous materials.
- Recognize and assess safety and health hazards across the Arboretum, working with internal departments to minimize occupational health and safety risks and manage compliance with applicable regulations.
- Conduct comprehensive safety and hygiene audits.
- Conduct accident investigations, and work with departments to correct safety hazards and develop preventative procedures.
- Perform job hazard assessments and recommend measures to control exposures, including substitution of less hazardous materials, personal protective equipment (PPE), work practice changes, and engineering controls.
- Write reports documenting observations, sampling results, and proposing recommendations.
- Coordinate regular safety education and communication campaigns highlighting health and safety protocols and tips for employees and volunteers.