Staff Writer & Editor
Company: American Academy of Pediatrics
Category: Editing, Journalism
Type: Full Time
American Academy of Pediatrics seeks a Staff Writer and Editor to join their team. You will research, write, and edit news releases, articles, blog posts, newsletters, and other content for various audiences. Participate in development of communications strategy and key messages for various audiences, including parents, members, and the news media. Duties and responsibilities are the following:
- Research, write, and edit news releases, web articles, blog posts, letters, op-eds, member communications, talking points, scripts, social media posts, and other content for various audiences, including the news media, parents, and members.
- Assist with media inquiries, including working with staff and chapter leaders to identify and reach out to pediatrician spokespersons; scheduling interviews; developing and providing talking points; researching AAP policies and content to for journalists; and tracking and reporting on resulting news coverage.
- Solicit and edit blog posts for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Voices blog. Work with pediatrician authors to craft posts according to blog guidelines for narrative, tone, and voice. Create editorial calendar to manage submissions according to AAP communications priorities. Create social media messages and graphics to promote posts.
- Curate, write, and edit content for OnCall and other all-member newsletters. Collaborate with appropriate staff to prioritize and highlight new resources and information for members. Track and analyze metrics to assess engagement and make recommendations for improvements.
- Interpret medical studies, technical reports, and AAP policies to write materials for the weekly media mailing and other news releases.
- Participate in discussions to develop communication strategy and key messages related to AAP campaigns, policies, news, and other priorities.
- Research, draft, and pitch op-eds on behalf of AAP leadership. Edit letters, op-eds, and other content submitted by physicians for AAP campaigns and related activities.
- Research and develop content in response to crisis situations, including speaking points, letters-to-the-editor, press statements, member and staff communications, web articles, social media posts, video, and other rapid-response materials.
- Participate in the selection of newsworthy abstracts and sessions at AAP conferences and edit and draft news releases to highlight them to the media.
- Coordinate review and approval of all assigned communications materials.
- Assist with assigned team activities, including staffing the press office at AAP conferences.