Company: The Morton Arboretum
Category: Accounting & Finance
Type: Full Time
The Morton Arboretum has a Controller position open. You will be responsible for ensuring accurate and timely financial accounting and reporting in support of mission, strategic plan, and customer service. Institutionally accountable for financial analysis and planning, audit and tax return coordination, treasury management, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, restricted funding, accounting systems, budget systems, and internal controls. Essential Functions:
- Supervise the timely preparation, distribution, and analysis of consolidated and departmental operating statements, balance sheets, capital expenditures, key performance indicators, cash flow, annual budget, and reporting on grant activity on a regular basis.
- Supervise the preparation of audit and tax return schedules in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. Serve as the principal liaison to external auditors and tax return preparers. Recommend changes to these service providers as warranted.
- Manage the treasury by maximizing the integration of cash transactions with Arboretum bank accounts for accuracy, efficiency, and security, forecasting cash flow, ensuring accurate accounting of the investment portfolio, and supervising timely and accurate monthly bank reconciliations. Ensure sufficient cash is on hand at all times to meet Arboretum financial obligations. Regularly evaluate service quality, cost effectiveness, and efficiency of banking partners. Recommend and lead changes in those partners, as needed.
- Serve as the institutional expert and key reference on accounting standards and practices. Develop and oversee compliance with accounting policies and procedures for optimum efficiency and accuracy in recording transactions and reporting financial results while maintaining a rigorous system of internal controls. Assess current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes.
- Manage the annual financial planning process, ensuring delivery of a robust, accurate, and detailed budget that aligns institutional strategy and tactics with financial constraints.
- Support CFO in executing strategic finance projects, including debt issues and other financings.
- Manage outsourced functions and software needs, including general ledger, budgeting, payroll, and automated accounts payable.
- Serve as the primary staff liaison to the Audit and Risk Committee of the Board of Trustees. Set agendas, prepare materials for committee review, and actively participate in semi-annual meetings.
- Oversee and lead the operations of the Business Office, including determining the optimal organization design to achieve departmental goals and objectives. Supervise the Accountants, Bookkeeper – Accounts Payable, Bookkeeper – Cash/Payroll, and Manager of Financial Reporting and Grant Compliance. Duties include recruitment and selection, scheduling and job assignments, performance feedback, recognition, and staff development and training in keeping with the Arboretum’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of payroll and compliance to payroll laws.