Company: City of Naperville
Category: Public Service
Type: Full Time
The Naperville Board of Fire and Police Commission is accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic. The Naperville Fire Department is responsible for protecting approximately 148,000 residents living in a 50 square mile area. A nationally accredited agency, the Naperville Fire Department’s mission is to safeguard the lives and property of the citizens of Naperville. This is accomplished by providing professional, quality fire prevention and public education programs as well as effective and efficient fire suppression, emergency medical, rescue and other emergency services.
Over the past two decades, the Naperville Fire Department has experienced rapid growth. The fire department has ten fire stations in operation. Currently the department employs more than 200 personnel. The department is manned 24 hours per day and operates six front line engines, two heavy duty rescue squads, eight front line paramedic ambulances, two front line ladder trucks and two Battalion Commander vehicles. The starting salary is $74,467.39 (2024 Step 1 rate per contract). Qualifications:
- Citizenship: Must be a citizen of the United Sates.
- Age: Must be at least nineteen (19) years of age and under thirty-five (35) by the date of testing, unless otherwise exempt by statute. Minimum age for appointment to the position of Firefighter/Paramedic is twenty-one (21).
- Education: Must be a high school graduate or equivalent (GED) at time of application.
- Licensure: Must be licensed as an Illinois EMT/Paramedic OR have passed the National Certified Paramedic Exam at the time of the background screen; OR be a current licensed RN able to go through the Paramedic Bridge Program through Edward Hospital after hire.
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and Ladder Climb Certification: Must have successfully completed the CPAT and Ladder Climb Exercise within one year prior to the application deadline.
- Character: Must possess good moral character suitable to the role of a Firefighter/Paramedic. Must pass a thorough character and background investigation, which shall include a polygraph test.
- Other: Must pass a medical examination and psychological assessment.
- Must meet all requirements of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners Rules, City of Naperville Municipal Code, and laws of the State of Illinois.