Company: DuPage County
Category: Engineering, HVAC
Type: Full Time
DuPage County has a Stationary Engineer position available for the DuPage County Facilities Management Department. This position is assigned to the International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE) Local 399 Bargaining Unit Position. Salary is $74,500. Responsibilities are the following:
- Operates, maintains and repairs all Power Plant, tunnel, and County owned or leased facilities, and related equipment (e.g. high temperature and high pressure hot water generators, high and low pressure steam boilers, centrifugal and absorption chillers, air conditioning units, high voltage electrical distribution and emergency electric power generators, air compressors, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, pumping systems, air handlers, vacuum and circulating pumps, hot water systems, circulating and ventilating fans, water softeners, steam traps, and other mechanical, steam, pneumatically or electrically powered equipment).
- Performs power plant stationary engineer duties as required.
- Responsible through specific assignment for a County facility or group of facilities to provide stationary engineer duties for preventive maintenance, repair and installation of facilities’ HVAC equipment.
- Provides response to facilities’ occupant environmental requests.
- Checks equipment operation for proper functioning of equipment.
- Maintains records of work performed.
- Maintains inventory and recommends ordering of stock and materials to supervisor.
- Reads gauges and manipulates valves to control water levels and pressures in boilers and other vessels.
- Draws water samples from various systems.
- Tests samples by established procedures and adjusts chemical feed according to results.
- Conducts hydrostatic pressure tests to ensure sealed gaskets.
- Packs valves, changes filters and oil, greases pumps, motors, bearings and valve stems.
- Performs scheduled rounds and records pertinent readings and data to ensure safe and efficient operation.
- Notifies appropriate staff of emergencies.
- Completes scheduled preventive maintenance and emergency work orders.
- Installs, maintains and repairs equipment that controls other equipment such as pneumatic and electronic (DDC) thermostats, controllers, and limit and safety control devices.
- Moves items such as pallets of water softener salt, compressed gas cylinders and other supplies to and from designated storage areas, racks or shelves.
- Provides assistance to other labor trades classifications.
- Maintains and repairs various types of mechanical equipment of the HVAC system, such as feed pumps, vacuum pumps, circulating pumps, air compressors, refrigeration compressors, condensers, evaporators, hot water generators, circulating and ventilating fans, and similar mechanical, steam or electrically operated equipment.
- Power plant assignments on a rotating basis or as needed for coverage.