Building Official – Community Development Department
Company: Village of Glen Ellyn
Category: Architect, Construction, Engineering, Management
Type: Full Time
The Village of Glen Ellyn is seeking to hire a Building Official. The job duties of the position include, but are not limited to, administering the provisions of the Glen Ellyn zoning code, building code, and fire code in an efficient, effective, and fair manner to ensure that the health, safety, and welfare of the residents and the general public are promoted and protected. Also manages the Building Division staff, as well as the building permit and inspection, stormwater, and code enforcement process; and provides responsive, courteous, and efficient service to Village residents, businesses, and the general public. Salary range for this position is $88,118 to $133,940. Essential functions:
- Administer the primary functions of the Building Division through coordination within the Department and with the Administration, Public Works, and Finance Departments, Village consultants, and other governmental agencies as necessary.
- Oversee the building permit process to ensure compliance with technical requirements of all applicable building codes and other regulatory agencies.
- Manage the inspection process to ensure existing and new buildings meet all Village code requirements.
- Manage code compliance and the resolution of resident complaints and conflicts with construction work or related conditions through requests for corrective actions and, if necessary, application of the enforcement and penalty provisions of the zoning and building codes, including inspections, violation notices, citations, fines, and court actions.
- Assist in the preparation of the Department’s budget.
- Implement and maintain the current software program and eliminate non-value-added processes.
- Amend existing Village codes to ensure that they meet the changing needs of the Village, address new governmental agency regulations, and include building industry advances in materials and equipment.
- Serve as liaison to the Building Board of Appeals. Assist the Planning Division, as needed, with other Commissions and Boards.
- Interpret building and zoning codes as needed for staff and external and internal customers.
- Supervise the Building Division Staff, which includes permit coordinator, permit clerks, plan examiner, senior building inspector, building inspectors, and fire inspectors.
- Provide training and guidance toward the development of employees.
- Oversee consultants.