Company: City of Naperville
Type: Full Time
The City of Naperville’s Water & Wastewater Utility has an Engineering Assistant position open. This position works closely with Senior Civil/Environmental Engineers & water utility section supervisors to execute in-house designs of water and wastewater projects that include the preparation of construction plans, specifications, and bid documents. The incumbent is responsible for the construction management of Water Utility capital improvement projects, including water supply, sanitary lift station, sanitary sewer and watermain rehabilitation projects, as well as inspection of the water and sanitary sewer components of new construction projects. Provides technical support to the Utility’s Engineering division (including surveying, AutoCAD work for plans, legal descriptions, construction document preparation, and engineering calculations), and assists in the review of Right-Of-Way permits and single-family development permits. Responsibilities:
- Assist engineers in preparing technical drawings, project/program specifications, cost estimates, contract bid documents, reports & spreadsheets related to requisitions, bids, invoices, regulatory requirements, and budgets.
- Maintain files of contracts and documents related to utility construction, installation, maintenance and operations.
- Assist & aid construction management of the Utility’s capital improvement projects for water distribution, sanitary sewer rehabilitation and other improvements.
- Perform site inspections of water and sanitary sewer components of new construction projects including service terminations, watermain installation and testing, sanitary sewer installation and testing, and final inspections for occupancy and acceptance.
- Document and inspect work performed by contractors for quality, accuracy and adherence to project specifications. Approve payment for work completed.
- Conduct investigations originating from management, intra-departmental and customer inquiry.
- Supervise Civil Engineering interns.
- Frequent local travel to city facilities and job sites within the Naperville city limits is required of this job.