Refugee Health Specialist
Company: World Relief
Category: Healthcare, Nonprofit
Aurora, Carol Stream
Type: Full Time
World Relief seeks a Refugee Health Specialist who will provide Healthcare Orientation, do Medical Case Management and develop relationships with health care providers and identify new sources of care in areas that lack adequate providers (such as dental care or other specialties). Below lists some responsibilities of the position:
- Health Care Orientation
- Provide hands-on orientation to Refugee Health Promotion [RHP] clients of the U.S. health care system through each appointment, including proper filling and following of prescription instructions.
- Compile medical resource binder of providers and transportation options for distribution to clients.
- Educate clients regarding western medical practices and preventative care.
- Equip clients to appropriately address medical bills and statements received.
- Facilitate access to and understanding of the resources available through the Affordable Care Act.
- Medical Case Management
- Provide medical case management to clients with chronic or severe medical conditions.
- Develop service plan for client medical needs, coordinate care with specialist providers, and coordinate across departments to ensure comprehensive support.
- Conduct home visits and assess ongoing needs to assist client in meeting service plan goals.
- Provide transportation to health specialist appointments and primary care visits.
- Work with clients to identify and utilize various resources to achieve program goals.
- Assist clients in creating a transportation plan by leveraging community resources, rideshare, or public transportation for transportation to follow-up appointments.
- Assist clients in navigating health insurance requirements in collaboration with other WR staff for accessing medical specialist care and educate clients on how to work with health insurance to pay medical bills.
- Empowering clients towards self-sufficiency for their health and emotional well-being while helping to remove barriers.